Sunday, March 20, 2016

Growing My Social Capital

In this exercise, I tried to use personal relationships of mine to find people who are involved in the industry related to my business venture. 

Here I found a friend of a friend or a relative of a friend to expand my network. 

1. Domain Expert
  • Felipe Gomes, Sales Associate at Best Buy
  • Felipe worked at the Best Buy store in Orlando, FL, where I am from. I have shopped there a few times and I was able to use his insight into the market to help with my business venture.
  • I contacted him via Facebook, as we have many mutual friends. We simply discussed the potential of my product selling in a store like Best Buy. 
  • Including Felipe in my network will give me access to an insider's opinion in the market for tech devices and their accessories.  
2. Market Expert
  • Nicole Hebel, UF Marketing Major
  • Nicole is a fellow student in the business school and she is currently studying marketing. 
  • I contacted her via Facebook, as she and I also have many mutual friends. We discusses the ways in which to market my product, especially to younger people (like college students) 
  • Including Nicole in my network will allow me access to the perspective of a college student studying marketing techniques which will aid me in my venture and my marketing strategies.
3. Supplier
  • Hank Goradesky, owner of a phone case company
  • Hank is a relative of one of my friends from high school
  • I contacted him via email and we discussed the potential of my product and the ways in which he has been able to grow his business
  • Having Hank in my network will allow me to expand my knowledge about producing and distributing a (tech device/accessory) product to customers 
This networking experience has made me more comfortable in reaching out to people and discussing my product with them as a business venture. I hope that over time networking will become easier and easier. 




3 comments:

  1. Hi Lillie! Great job on the “growing your social capital” assignment! I think you did a really good job on finding people who can really make your social capital better. All the people you contacted seemed really willing to help you improve your business idea. Unfortunately, I didn’t do this assignment but, you can check out my other ideas here: courtneysrymer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lillie! I think it is great that you expanded your network beyond Gainesville! Your idea now has more potential to grow exponentially. The supplier you found is gold! I hope it all goes well with your new capital! Here's my link: http://alejandrogomezent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/growing-my-social-capital.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lillie, This is a fantastic job! Good stuff very interesting indeed. I would totally buy your product, so keep doing what you are doing. The owner of the phone case company sounds really interesting for sure, I wonder how he made his business successful. I didn't do this assignment so I have nothing to post.

    ReplyDelete