ENT3003 Venture
Concept – Lillian Gilmore
All around the world, people use
smart phones every day, at all hours. While phones have been developed over
time to have a longer sustaining battery power, many people face the struggle
of their smart phones running out of charge before the end of the day. This is
why many people must carry their chargers with them so they are able to plug in
their devices at all times of the day so they can stay connected via
smartphone. With all the transporting and usage of chargers to solve the
problem of phones running out of battery, a new problem arises. The phone
chargers people use, though they are sleek, can rarely withstand the wear and
tear. After a short period of time, they fray and break. Many people are forced
to buy phone charger every couple of months because theirs simply do not last.
Now, who has this need? Nearly everyone with a smartphone faces the problem of
phone chargers that simply do not last. While some people are lucky enough to
not encounter this dilemma, many smart phones users are not as lucky. This
market of customers with the unmet need spans across the nation, and even
across the globe, as it affects people of all backgrounds. Currently, most
people facing this problem are using two of the following solutions: trying to
make their charger last at all costs, or simply buying a new charger. The
second solution, which many people choose, can be quite costly over time,
especially when combined with the already present expenses of owning a smart
phone. Customers are most likely relatively loyal to their current smart phone
supplier, which is why they continue to buy chargers from them. However, this
is an opportunity that has the potential to meet the need of a lot of customers
from all over. This “window of opportunity” will last until someone else
creates the same product, or one similar to it.
My solution
to this problem would be to create and successfully distribute phone chargers
that resist the wear and tear of everyday life to deliver a consistent charge
to a customer’s smart phone/device. This phone charger will have a slinky like
design, which will allow it to resist overextension, bending, and fraying which
very often leads to a cord breaking. Its design also allows it to stretch over
a long distance of 6 feet, but when it is not fully extended it will condense
back down to a smaller size. This slinky like design will also keep the
charging cord from tangling too badly, which overall will create an easier,
more reliable experience for the customer. It will be available in several
colors: black, white, pink, blue, and green. I will be selling this charging
cord for somewhere between $8-$12 depending on production and distribution
costs.
This
product will solve the problem of chargers breaking over time due to wear and
tear. The slinky like design allows the cord to be flexible, yet durable so the
cord can bend and stretch to accommodate the customer without overextending and
breaking. Its design also allows it to resists tangling, which many people
struggle with when they are carrying many cords at once. I believe people will
buy this product because it is a one time purchase that will allow people to
stop buying multiple chargers throughout their time as a smart phone user.
People will switch to this product because it is more durable, more flexible,
and it is available in different colors which makes it fun—and takes away from
an industrial appearance. I think initially it will be difficult to convince
people that my product truly works, but over time, with marketing and customer
feedback, I believe that other customers will be more willing to switch, and
they will buy my product. Competitors in this market are any company/person
that is selling other phone chargers with similar capabilities. While they may
be more established than I am, I believe that I have more expendable time to
donate to my product and the organization of its distribution, because I am a
young adult in college. I think because I am in college, the business location,
customer service, and distribution will be easier in the onset because at the
start I believe that I will most likely be selling to college kids and people
in my surrounding area. I think that my price is appealing to consumers because
many college students are on a budget and $8-$12 is a normal price for a charger,
especially if you won’t need to buy another in the future. In the start of this
business, I would like to run a smaller company to keep costs down, that way I
would be employing a few people to help me with production and distribution of
the product to customers. If the company grows, then I can reevaluate and hire
more people to support the growing needs of the company.
I believe
that because I am in college, my proximity to the market (of college students)
and my expendable free time will be my most valuable resources that will allow
me to compete with other companies. Once I have a stable footing in this
market, I would like to expand my business and offer a new product: a set of
headphones that are retractable (to avoid tangling) but that also a good sound
quality. Assuming this venture launched, in five years, I would like to run
this business with the help of fellow employees. I would like to have this as a
side business, that way I can also pursue my career as an accountant, or
potentially a corporate lawyer. This venture will allow me to develop my
entrepreneurial skills, so that in the future I can pursue other venture and
maybe run my own business full time.
Feedback:
What I learned from people's feedback on my previous venture concept and my post about "What's Next?" is that people liked that I was able to take a product and evolve it into something more useful. They liked that the product would be offered in several colors and that I would be able to market within Gainesville. They look forward to this product idea becoming a real thing.
To fit this feedback, I just have to keep evolving my plan and work on marketing and distribution to get my product out there!

I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I thought it was interesting you chose the picture that you chose because it is so unique. I also think that it was extremely important that you explained how you fit the feedback. You did a great job.
ReplyDeleteHi Lillie,
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that your blog post was really easy and enjoyable to read. I think your business idea is very interesting and I really hope you can accomplish that goal. The feedback you received is very important and I think you can make the best of it. good luck with this class. here is my blog link, check it out
http://nataliagarcia2022.blogspot.com/
Hey there Lillie! Great job on this post!
ReplyDeleteFist of all, I really like your blog layout, it is very simple and pleasing to the eye :) I feel like your business has a huge potential to take off because we are slowly becoming more and more dependent on technology, and our phones and ipads need chargers and we dont want to go through the hassle of buying new ones every time ours break. I hope you really consider making this business take off after (or during) college, it would probably be very sucessful. If you are ever bored, please check out my blog :) any feedback is greatly appreciated http://gcwindow.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html
Take care!
Hi Lillie, great job on your post! I think you have a great product, especially one that I know I would personally benefit from because I tend to damage my phone quite often, not on purpose of course. I think this could work very well and that many people would enjoy it! Keep up the great work and feel free to check out my post at: http://scp1995.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html
ReplyDelete