Monday, April 4, 2016

Celebrating Failure

This year I applied for like 5 different programs. Coming into freshman year, I was used to being super involved in my school (like I had been during junior and senior year in high school). However, I did not really anticipate that despite all of the options available to get involved, it's actually a lot harder to get involved than it may seem. I applied for FLC, Warrington Welcome Peer Leader, Cicerone, and the list goes on. I did not get accepted into any of these, but I learned about failure through these experiences. I have learned to practice more for interviews, and proofread essays and the email addresses that I am sending them too. I also learned to take a breath, and realize that it is not the end of the world to not be involved in every club, like I was in high school. It was a learning curve, but everything happens for a reason. I am now very happy because I am involved in several organizations and I love them. From these failures, I have learned to learn from them and try my best to improve my efforts before applying for the next thing. 
This class has taught me that it's okay to take a chance and interview a stranger, even though it might be awkward. Although that isn't exactly failure, it is what I have learned from this class. Because without getting the courage to interview people, you will fail to complete the assignment, and potentially the course- so I suppose that is where failure comes into play in this class.

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely understand dealing with trying to get involved in your freshman year. I know I tried to find any club or organization I could get into, but couldn't find anything I was interested in joining. Part of this was just that I didn't know what I was interested, and I just ended up getting involved through people I met instead. http://triedfortime.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure-lot.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lillie! I can definitely relate to the situation you described as I also had this issue my freshman year. College is a huge adjustment in general but it takes some getting used to the fact of how competitive everything is here! Compared to high school it is way harder to get involved. But it seems like you took the failure in stride and have learned from it and are trying to improve from it which is great. Keep up the good work! Feel free to check out my blog, http://caitlinc12.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lillie,

    I enjoyed reading about your triumph over your initial failures. I, too, was heavily involved in high school and found that organizations in college were far more selective. Good for you for getting back on the proverbial horse and not giving up. Also, I really like the picture you included. It fits perfectly with this assignment and your post!

    Thanks for sharing! Here's a link to my post. http://jamestyrrell.blogspot.com/2016/04/celebrating-failure.html

    ReplyDelete